Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Timely intimation about payment of additional fee under RTI Act 2005.
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
North Block, New Delhi - 110001
Dated : 11.2.2013
Subject: Timely intimation about payment of additional fee under RTI Act
It has been brought to the notice of the Central information
Commission that some CPIOs inform the information seeker about the
additional fee under sub section 7(3) of the RTI Act at the fag end of the thirty
days period prescribed for providing the information under sub-section 7(1) of
the RTI Act.
2. The Central Information Commission in one of its orders has mentioned
that while there cannot be any hard and fast rule about when exactly the
inti ation about the photocopying charges should be conveyed to the
infor ation seeker, it is implied in the prescribed time limit that the demand
for t e photocopying charges must be made soon after the RTI application is
received so that the information seeker has time to deposit the fees and
rec ive the information within the prescribed thirty days period. If the
information sought is not voluminous or is not dispersed over a large number
of fiilens , computation of the photocopying charges should not be a time
con uming task. As soon as the RTI application is received, the holder of the
infor ation should decide about how much information to disclose and then
calculate the photocopying charges so that the CPIO can immediately write
to the information seeker demanding such fees.
3. This may be brought to the notice of all concerned for compliance.
1. All the Ministries I Departments of the Government of India
2. Union Public Service Commission, Lok Sabha Sectt, Rajya Sabha
Secretariat, Cabinet Secretariat, Central Vigilance Commission,
President's Secretariat, Vice-President's Secretariat, Prime Minister's Office,
Planning Commission, Election Commission.
3. Central Information Commission/State Information Commissions.
4. Staff Selection Commission, CGO Complex, New Delhi
5. O/o the Comptroller & Auditor General of India, 10, Bahadur Shah Zafar
Marg, New Delhi.
6. All officers/Desks/Sections, DOP&T and Department of Pension &
Copy to :- Chief Secretaries of All the States/UTs